Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One Last Lunch Date

IMG_1238

IMG_1239

I was sweaty and gross walking out of the gym with my Red, mentally running through the list of things I had yet to do which included laundry, cleaning, dishes, etc.  As we approached the car, my Red looked up at me with his big blue eyes and sunburned red cheeks and asked, “Mommy can we go to Chic-fil-A?”

My automatic response wanted to be a negative, considering I was showing sweat in the most unbecoming of places and it was a Tuesday and I had necessary housework to do and I looked disgusting.

But I paused with the keys in my hand as I opened the door for him and looked at his sweet face and mentally stepped out of automatic busy mommy mode. Sure it was Tuesday and I had a list of things to do but to him it was a special day. How could I not see that? It was a rare day that just he and I were together (big brother at school, little brother at Grandma’s).  He wanted a special lunch date alone with his mommy.

So I replied, “Yep! Hop in. Let’s go to Chic-fil-a!”

Excited now, he asked, “Can I get an ice cream too?”

“Definitely.”

Sitting across from my Red at lunch, I realized that this special lunch date marks the end of the time I’ve had with him at home with me these first five years of his life. While big brother has been at school, my Red as been my pal and sweet helper who looks out for me.  Come this fall, he will start Kindergarten.  The days of having impromptu lunch dates with just him and me anywhere on a weekday will be gone. Oh that’s hard to take in. I wonder if his sweet little spirit realized all this and was inspired to give his mommy this one last special lunch date? I believe so.

Thank you my sweet Red. I love you.

Pin It!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Presh. I need to stop myself sometimes and remind me that my kids won't be little for forever. You are a good mommy.

Melody's Voice said...

I'm sure he was inspired in some way. They grow so fast!

S.Shepherd said...

I know how you feel. My oldest is starting kindergarten this fall. I've been doing trips to magic mountain with him. It's scary for me to have one in school now. ( his three years of pre-school doesn't count ;) ) They just grow up way too fast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. "

-Margaret D. Nadauld