Friday, March 9, 2012

Baking with Boys: Pioneer Pudding

Just because I have all boys that’s not going to stop me from teaching my children how to bake, or cook. For that matter it doesn’t stop me from teaching them how to vacuum, do laundry, have styled hair everyday (almost), and notice how pretty flowers are. Now don’t start thinking I’m raising sissies because for the record today with the boys I made paper airplanes, read a book about mummies, listed all the baseball teams with the color red, had a ball thrown at my head (the usual), and watched an awesome light saber battle on the staircase.

But, let’s get back to baking with the boys.

IMG_0015

My oldest wanted to make this recipe he found in the Friend magazine. I was thrilled! When I was around his age I started making a cookbook from recipes I cut out from the Friend magazine…I wish I still had it. Interesting how this come full circle.

IMG_0017

He is seven years old now, just three months away from eight, which means on kid friendly recipes, like this one, it can be an almost entirely hands on experience for him. I pretty much just had to take the pictures :)

We turned the oven on to 275 degrees F. In a 2-quart glass baking dish he added 2/3 cup rice and 1/3 cup brown sugar.

IMG_0019

He measured 4 cups of whole milk.

IMG_0020

And tried to pour it into the bowl. We had a bit of an overflow problem, as captured in the photo right before the mess. Nothing a few paper towels couldn’t fix.

IMG_0021

Then he added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

IMG_0023

He had to get a good whiff of the vanilla (it’s our baking tradition) before he added 1 teaspoon vanilla.

IMG_0024

He stirred all the ingredients together.

IMG_0026

Then mommy put it in the oven and set the timer for 2 hours.

We enjoyed the yummy cinnamon aroma and wondered what it would end up tasting like. Neither of us had a clue what exactly “Pioneer Pudding” was. I figured it may be close to tapioca pudding—which my son likes. As for me, I am not much of a rice fan, nor a pudding fan, so I didn’t have high hopes. I just enjoyed the baking with my boy time.

As it turned out, he did like it!

2012-03-03

Apparently it is basically rice pudding (which I’ve never had, until now).

 

Pioneer Pudding {recipe from the Friend}

2/3 cup rice

1/3 cup brown sugar

4 cups whole milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup regular or golden raisins, if desired

 

1. Wash your hands.

2. Turn the oven on to 275 degrees F.

3. Put all the ingredients into a 2-quart glass baking dish and stir together.

4. Have an adult help you put the dish in the oven.

5. Take the pudding out of the oven after two hours.

Serve warm or cold.                 

Pin It!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. "

-Margaret D. Nadauld