Monday, April 4, 2011

Sunday Donuts {homemade}

For General Conference Sunday it has been tradition to make “Conference Cornbread” in my family for as long as I could remember, and a tradition I have continued in my home. Except for this last Sunday. I didn’t have the makings for cornbread—but I made up for it.

I made homemade donuts! 

2129

I found this recipe/idea on RealSimple.com

2104

A can of premade biscuit dough (like Pillsbury brand) and some oil is all it really takes.

2106

Pop them out and lay out.

2109

Find something to use to poke holes out of the middle. I used this pastry bag cap.

2107

A cap lid could work too. My little helper is using the cap from our oil container.

2108

Push it through the middle…

2110

And you get a cute little donut hole.

2111

Prepare them all and heat up the oil to about 360 degrees. I started with the donut holes first to test the oil temperature.

2115

Carefully, using tongs, turn them so all the sides are golden. Remove them from the oil and let them cool on a paper towel. Once I got the timing down, I was ready for the donuts.

2118

Carefully place them in the oil with tongs and cook one side until golden.

2119

Using the tongs, flip them over to cook the other side. Yummy Golden-ness.

2120

Carefully remove them and let them slightly cool on a paper towel with the holes.

2114

Now for the best part. The Icing! Have you ever been to Krispy Kreme and watched the fresh donuts being made, with the wall of frosting pouring over them? I wanted to try to copy that. I settled for dipping them into a big measuring cup. I used this recipe:

3 cups powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup warm water (I used warmed milk)

Mix together. Then dip one side of the slightly cooled donut in.

2126

Who likes chocolate frosted donuts? Yea? Me too.

2113

This is some deluxe chocolate frosting. I simply melted 4 squares of chocolate almond bark in a shallow dish.

2128

Now dip and swirl. I tried really hard not to immediately devour. I added some colorful sprinkles because sprinkles are always a hit.

2130

My husband affectionately named these “Mommy Kremes”.

2125

I figured a good mommy makes homemade donuts but an even gooder mommy makes them eat something healthy to counterbalance all the sugar. So, I made them eat apples : )  They amused themselves with this “hands free” way.

Pin It!

4 comments:

Taff said...

Your blog is so cute! Those donuts look so good! I'm totally going to try this. Thanks for posting!

Leah said...

Oh gosh...these look so yummy! I'm no Betty Crocker, but your tutorial made this look so easy. My husband will be so happy when I try this!

Kimberly said...

AWE-SOME!
looks so yummy~ I should do something like this with my boys.


I remember making doughnuts from scratch with my mom. well she made them. I got to sprinkle them with powder sugar.

My post today was about food, too.

Heather said...

Wow! what a great tradition. I think I need to start something like that. I've never made donuts before but have always wanted to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. "

-Margaret D. Nadauld