Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Festive Fall Baking Begins

025
I don’t know the official name of these cookies.  They’ve been called “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies”, or “Pumpkin Polka-Dot Cookies”, or “Make double a batch because my husband eats them so fast cookies,” or my new favorite…
“Sosee Pumpkin Cookies” because they match the color of my 3-year-old’s hair (who my husband affectionately calls Sosee, pronounced so-see. Back-story: First he called him “So-So”, because he was so, so cute. Then he shortened it to So’s. Then he added the “ee” to the end. Hence we have So-see.)  Anyway, my 3-year-old helped me make the cookies for special mommy time this morning. 
009
You can’t have a baking moment with a 3-year-old like mine and not get a funny quote from it. 
Here was one…
3-year-old: “Is that a steam roller?”
Mommy: “No. It’s a can opener.”
* * *
These treats are cake-like cookies and festive for Halloween because they are orange and black.  At our house, we love to keep them in the fridge, and enjoy them cold.
013
(He’s got his game face on. Ready, set, BAKE!)
Here’s the Recipe: (I double this to make LOTS!)
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin pie filling
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg ( or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger & 1/2 tsp. ground cloves)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)
1 cup chocolate chips (I always add a touch more)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix first five ingredients. Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.(dough will be very smooth). Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
Bake 12 minutes
* * *
Baking With Children is a Recipe for Success
Baking or Cooking in the kitchen with little ones may require a little extra patience, being okay with a few spills here and there, and having to pick egg shells out of the bowl, but good comes from it, and I don’t just mean the treats you get to eat when you’re all done.
Time spent together in the kitchen can help develop your relationship with your children by strengthening communication, showing support and personal care.
Even the experts agree.  "Communication doesn't start when your child is 17," says Ross Brower, MD, deputy medical director for the Weill Cornell Medical Center. "It should start when your child is 3."
Allowing our children to help us (and feel “big”) also instills confidence.  While cooking today, my 3-year-old watched me measure the sugar and asked, “Can I pour it? I’m really good.”  And, of course I let him…while I held my breath hoping I didn’t end up with a cup of sugar on my floor.
015
The confidence building continued with each pour…
019
And I even let him sneak a chip…
020
He felt super proud when he manned the “power tool”…THE HAND MIXER!
 017
To complete the experience he had the honor of scooping out the first cookie…
022
(yea, it was a bit messy)
Then the real reward came in the end…
024
The reward for Mommy was seeing that smile and creating a memory that I will remember every October 1st for now on.
Pin It!

1 comments:

Melody's Voice said...

What a special moment. I love the fall too. I am anticipating the change in weather here in California.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. "

-Margaret D. Nadauld