Sunday, February 3, 2008

Colton's First Testimony

Today Colton bore his testimony in church for the first time! All during the passing of the Sacrament, Colton was anxious to go up there. As soon as the time for testimony sharing was opened up to the ward, Colton hopped off his seat, and Sean walked him up there (he was the first one). They pulled the stool up, lowered the microphone all the way down, Sean sat back next the the bishopric, and Colton stepped up to the microphone and shared the following words:

"I love to bear my testimony. (Pause to smile and look back at Daddy) I love my family. Jesus loves me. I love my house. I "willwy, willwy" (really, really) love my body because Jesus made me. I "willwy" love my spirit, too. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Then, with the biggest grin on his face, he and Sean walked back down where we were sitting and gave me a big hug. He was so proud of himself, as I was of him too, and my heart was filled with joy and warmth.

A little back story on this....Last month during fast and testimony meeting Colton had wanted to go up and talk in the microphone, but I wouldn't allow him because I had no idea what he'd say because we had not really taught him about testimonies yet. So I promised him we would learn about testiomonies and practice all month until the next fast Sunday. So for the past 4 weeks each Family Home Evening has been a mini-testimony sharing time. First we taught him what a testimony is and the things that are generally spoken of when sharing a testimony. Then Sean and I each shared are testimonies as examples. We didn't want to "spoon feed" him a testimony or the words to say, so we allowed him to express what was in his heart. During the "practice" testimonies he would sometimes vear off and talk about superheroes or trains and we had to remind him that although those things are important to him, they are not appropriate to share in a testimony. So, needless to say, I was a little nervous when Colton stepped up to the podium. But, it was wonderful and perfect.
Pin It!

3 comments:

zepp said...

His testimony really was soooo sweet! I'm glad you are preserving that special memory. We were in town and were there for sacrament meeting so we got to witness it live! It really was a treat.

I wanted to stick around after the meeting and say "hi" but we had to duck out early to meet with our tenants. Next time I'm in FW I'd love to go out to lunch or something!!!

up in bubbles said...

How cute. I guess we should probably go over that in our family as well. SO sweet he is.

Stacey said...

what a neat experience! I can't wait till Jace can sit still to actually want to learn about testimonies :) Colton seems so sweet. thanks for the christmas card! we loved it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity. "

-Margaret D. Nadauld